February is a month of love and romance. We want to be presentable and have good breath and dental health not only in the month of February. Here is a method that is proven to ensure not only that but your whole body will benefit from it as well.
Oil pulling is a very simple, safe and gentle method of getting rid of toxins and impurities from your body. It is an ancient Ayurvedic technique used to improve your oral health as well as your overall well-being. It can be used by adults and children as well. It whitens your teeth and helps with natural detoxification. Like I said, it is very simple, yet extremely effective. Oil pulling method literally means pulling toxins out from your body by swishing oil in your mouth. It is that simple. ;o) All you need is coconut oil or sesame oil and a cup with pure water for rinsing after the swishing. Coconut oil (cold-pressed) is great as it has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, plus heals the gums.
Oil pulling procedure:
- Start on an empty stomach, best in the morning before breakfast or any beverage. You can do it also before lunch and dinner on an empty stomach.
- Or you can do it 2 – 3 hours after your last meal.
- Use 2 – 3 teaspoons (liquid coconut oil – it is easier in the summer or warmer months. ;o) If your coconut oil is solid, place the jar in warm water or just spoon out the coconut oil from the jar. Never microwave your oil!)
- Keep your mouth closed while swishing gently. Relax and breathe.
- Swish for about 15-20 minutes. (Do it while you prepare breakfast, get dressed, read, watch TV, listen to the radio, walk your dog, etc.) It seems like a long time but the time flies and you will feel the benefits instantly! You can do it for a shorter time (5 minutes) but you will not get rid of as many toxins as with the longer time.
- I also clean my tongue when done with oil pulling to make sure I remove toxins on my tongue as well (a regular spoon works well or you can purchase tongue cleaner).
Do not gargle or swallow the oil! Remember, the toxins are being pulled out from your body and teeth via your mouth and you do not want to swallow that! If it is getting too much (you will naturally produce saliva), spit a little bit in the trash and continue or spit it all out and use new oil for the remainder of the time. Do not spit it out in your sink to prevent clogging! When done, spit it out into the trash and rinse your mouth with pure water several times. How do you feel?
This method is very healing and beneficial for your overall health. It is unlikely for your fillings and other dental work to fall out, get loose or worse. Yet, if that happens, it is a sign that your fillings, etc. need to be changed or it means that the area in your mouth needs attention. If you want to learn more about this method I recommend a book by Dr. Bruce Fife called “The Oil Pulling Therapy”.
Anna Simpson is a certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. She is the owner of a nutritional consulting business, Well Beyond Nutrition – Nutritional Therapy with Healing Foods. Anna is a member of the Weston A. Price Foundation and Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation.
Anna offers Nutritional Counseling with a focus on Foundations (Digestion, Blood Sugar, Fatty Acids, Minerals, Hydration) and a Properly-Prepared, Nutrient-Dense Real Foods Diet. Services range from package deals to individualized sessions based on your needs. Contact Anna for a free consultation to see how she can help you!
I, Anna Simpson, am not a licensed or certified doctor/medical professional. I do not diagnose, prescribe, treat or cure any disease, physical or mental. My services are not intended as a substitute for regular medical care performed by a licensed or certified doctor. The information or advice provided here is for educational purposes only. I educate and inform about holistic nutrition and health. Should you choose to use any advice discussed here, you are taking responsibility for your own actions.