Besides Beautycounter, this is my second passion I found and that keeps me going every single day, the KonMari Method of Tidying. In November of last year, as I was struggling with a health issue, instead of grocery shopping after teaching at a language school, I went to TJMaxx to look for a book for my daughter. I just needed to get out of the routine and listened to my gut that afternoon. So glad I did! I went straight to the book section and saw this book by Marie Kondo on tidying, called “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying.” I immediately grabbed it. I thought it was strange to have a book on this topic in the kid’s section. Anyway, I looked through it and it just seemed so different. I put it back thinking “Oh yeah, that is again one of those cleaning methods that never work. I tried it all.” I walked around but had to go back to look inside the book again. I just could not put it down. I have tried Feng Shui and read about and tried other organizing methods.
But this was just so different. I saw this one sentence and the decision was made: “The moment you first encounter a particular book is the right time to read it.” I decided to give it a try. What did I have to lose, right? I could always return it. What you probably do not know about me is that I do love to clean and organize things. It is almost like a meditation for me. That night I started reading and three days later I was done. I wanted to read the next book right away. Next week I got the second book “Spark Joy” and four days later I was done with that one. If I did not have a family to take care of, I would have read it in a day. I also watched some of her videos on folding clothes and I have been obsessed ever since. Even my daughter is folding the KonMari way! KonMari did change my life! Totally! For the Better and I never look back!
The KonMari (Marie Kondo -> KonMari) method is a unique way of dealing with your material things, the things that surround you and you look at every single day.
- Tidy by CATEGORY, not location! There are only 5 categories: Clothes, Books, Papers, Komono (Miscellaneous and its many subcategories) and Sentimental. You go from the easiest to the hardest, believe it or not.
- You tidy, but not in the sense “I have not used this in a while, let me get rid of it.” NO, no, no. On the contrary. You ask: “Does this spark joy for me?” Had I done it like I always did, I would have gotten rid of stuff I actually love and enjoy having. This was so different from everything else I have tried before.
- You do the KonMari, so-called “tidying marathon”, only ONCE IN YOUR LIFE and then just keep up the good work. You keep only the things that Spark Joy for you. It is TRUE!
- This way you are training your intuition and you are actually learning more about yourself, what you want from life.
- You clear your space, you clear your head.
- Why do you think I started my blog again? I learned more about myself and what I enjoy doing.
“So why should I try KonMari?” you might ask. Here are the BENEFITS:
- You do this only once in your life.
- You learn so much more about yourself and what you want from life!
- Cleaning is so much easier and faster because every item has its home.
- You appreciate your home and your belongings so much more.
- Your home will be how you want it and you will feel good there.
- You will feel and look good because you will be more confident!
Give it a try! ;o)
I will share more as I write more. Now we are doing the Miscellaneous category and I think this is the hardest one, but more on that later. Thank you for reading! Xoxo Anna